I just got an email in my inbox today. The Kindle 2, an updated version of Amazon’s wireless reading device, has just been released. Here’s a copy of the email I received:
We re excited to introduce Amazon Kindle 2 [ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154JDAI ], the next generation wireless reading device. With a sleek and thin design that makes Kindle 2 as thin as a typical magazine and lighter than a paperpack, the new Kindle has seven times more storage and now holds over 1,500 books. It has a longer battery life and faster page turns. An advanced display provides even crisper images and clearer text for an improved book-like reading experience. And Kindle 2 even reads to you, with Read to Me, our new Text to Speech feature.
With Kindle 2 we kept everything readers love about the original Kindle: the convenience of reading what you want, when you want it, the immediacy of getting a book wirelessly delivered in less than 60 seconds, and Kindle’s ability to disappear in your hands so you can get lost in the author’s words. We’re also excited to announce that the Kindle Store has over 230,000 ebooks available.
Let your readers know that Kindle 2 is available for pre-order starting today for $359 at http://amazon.com/kindle [ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154JDAI] and will ship later this month. We also have a wide variety of Kindle accessories available, including new covers from Cole Haan, Patagonia, and Belkin and more.
- New Features & Enhancements Slim & Lightweight : Just over 1/3 inch and 10.2 ounces
- Books in under 60 seconds : Get books delivered in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
- Improved Display : Reads like real paper; now boasts 16 shades of gray for crisp images and text; even reads well in bright sunlight
- Longer Battery Life : 25% longer battery life; read for days without recharging
- More Storage : Take your library with you; holds over 1,500 books
- Faster Page Turns : 20% faster page turns
- Read-to-Me : Text-to-Speech feature means Kindle can read every book, blog, magazine, and newspaper out loud.
- No Wireless Bills : No monthly wireless bills, data plans, or commitments. Amazon pays for Kindle s wireless connectivity so you won t see a monthly wireless bill.
- Large Selection : Over 230,000 books, plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines and blogs available
- Low Book Prices : New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise
Whether you’re a fan or not, it’s worth knowing that the Kindle 2 is out. I’m considering getting one, but only later when I have more money on hand. Just looking at the specs above it definitely looks like it was worth waiting to adopt. The new version sounds hands down better than version 1.